Friday, July 31, 2009

MJ's Music and Jazz

Hello world, I am back again after a couple weeks of not blogging. Since Michael Jackson's death I have developed an understanding and appreciation of his music and his abilities that I didn't have before. I have gone back and listened to some songs of his more deeply and its amazing how some of them (even the extra funky dance joints) can touch you. A lot of times I stumble upon different music or listen to music in a "6 degrees of separation" kind of way for example I was listening to Will.i.am's "Songs about Girls" album which reminded me that he worked with Michael Jackson which made me go back and listen to my favorite of that collaboration, "The Girl is Mine 2008".

I kind of got away from what I was gonna talk about originally so I will make a shift real quick. I was going to talk about what happened to me recently. Speaking of music that can touch you, I kind of lost sight of the fact that some music can touch you every single time. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes music hits you initially and is refreshing and new and surprising and at that moment you feel that you can listen to forever. Then you try....and unfortunately you were mistaken, that feeling you felt the first time can never be recreated. Even if you go back and listen to after a long period of time. Well, this is how I realized that I am in love with Jazz. After an amazing trip to Philly in early June where I saw The Roots perform the most amazing set Ive ever seen, I went into a music listening frenzy looking up every act I saw and finding the most obscure indie music I could get my hands on. After a month long period of discovery. I decided to return to my first love and I went on YouTube punching in Ella Fitzgerald's name. I was excited seeing that she had a cover of "Round Midnight". After listening to her amazing command of the melody and deep expression of the lyrics, honestly I almost cried. There are a number of reason for the single "Glory" tear that fell from my eye. For one, I haven't heard a song sung better in a long time but also the tear came from the disappointment that this type of writing and singing is virtually extinct and every word she sang is now piece of music history that I can never experience personally. This is when I realized that Jazz is the only music that, to its core, can evoke emotion in me like no other. The chords are designed to touch the heart unlike any other type of music in my opinion but it can only touch you if you let it. Its a very intimate music. You must open yourself to it to get the full understanding of it.

Take a listen to this post above and see if you dont get the same feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment